Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Spellforce 1 » Editor

Post subject: Editor on i3 i5 i7 x64
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:15 pm 

Did somebody find a solution to run editor on intel i3,i5,i7, x64? I tried many editor versions.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

still didn't find any solution, though in future I'm planning to test it on different BIOS settings, for example with or without intel virtualization technology (vt-x), etc.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:08 pm 

Any news here ?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:30 pm 

Dawn Druid wrote:
Did somebody find a solution to run editor on intel i3,i5,i7, x64? I tried many editor versions.

Hello , yes , I did ! I just bought Intel Pentium G3470 and GTX titan 6GB (7-series titan from 2013 ) , it's the best combination to run SF and the Editor . And x64 systems run 1.38 Editor like charm with this config !

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:52 am 
Site Admin

Good news, the developers of the SF3 said are considering to look into fixing the editor and resolution for the SF1. Not a promise but a consideration, so maybe...

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:16 am 
Site Admin

rupuzioks wrote:
Good news, the developers of the SF3 said are considering to look into fixing the editor and resolution for the SF1. Not a promise but a consideration, so maybe...

where did you read that ?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:40 am 
Site Admin

on Discord

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:47 am 

Wow, that would be awesome ^^

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:11 am 

Can't you just tell them to remove the stupid X-PROT protection from the editor?

I've been a lurker of this forum for awhile, I want to say I found a method that works for me on Haswell CPU (so, pretty recent micro-arch), with VMWare and Windows XP SP2 Virtual Machine (but I'm sure others can work also). I'm a huge fan of Spellforce 1 and plan to make some hard coop maps (the default game is quite... easy... to say the least) with huge armies and stuff like that, so I was determined. But first, a small related rant.

The editor is protected with a dumb ass protection "exe packer" which is the source of all the troubles. It is extremely fragile and backwards-coded because it relies on stuff like illegal instructions which, in the future, might not be illegal anymore (see how Intel repurposed some "illegal" instructions into things like AVX instructions with VEX prefix, etc). Intel explicitly say to not rely on illegal sequences since they'll stop working anytime they want, so whoever coded this stupid protection (someone from Jowood?) didn't do a very smart thing. I mean, these kind of protections really, REALLY annoy the hell out of me. What is the point of protecting the editor?! Just ruining honest players' experience I guess, as can be seen.

So please, rupuzioks, since you seem in touch with the developers, ask them to provide the editor without the stupid X-PROT protection/packer. That's all they need to do for it to reliably work. The wide-screen stuff should be much less priority since there's already patches available out there, but the editor simply doesn't work and is SUPER fragile even in VMs.

Anyway, here's the method that worked for me in the Windows XP VM. You need to configure the VM as having only one core and one CPU and then use Binary Translation of VMWare, without acceleration. Attached a picture of the settings. Please excuse the UI, the host is Linux using Windows 2000 theme.

Attachment:
vmware-settings.png [39.69 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

If you use a different virtualization product, then feel free to fiddle around with similar settings, hopefully something works... until they give us editor without the stupid protection. But if Intel decide to repurpose the illegal instructions that the protection expects to be illegal, virtualization software won't be able to save the editor, only a full-blown emulator (which is super-slow), meh. (this is not Intel's fault, it's the stupid protection's)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:19 am 

Hello , these new developers will not help, I'm quite sure !
But I have a possible solution for you and many others -
SF 1 Editor version 1.38 works flawlessly on my rig with this setup:
1 - Intel G3258 CPU (also tested with G3420 , G3470)
2 - GTX Titan (700-series)
3 - RAM Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600 CL7 16GB

P.S.
SF 2 Shadow Wars Editor doesn't work on Haswell ,
I run it on my old rig with Xeon X3363.

Board index » Spellforce 1 » Editor