Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Spellforce 1 » Mods

Post subject: Salvo/Multi-shot
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:54 am 

Greetings! Nice forum here, I am glad to stumble across it a few days ago and decided to make an account. Because I'm a die-hard fan of spellforce 1 (been playing it for several years already), modding always is something I enjoy doing to games I really like. :)

However, too bad Spellforce modding is rather hard, with editing of .pak or gamedata files. Meh, I am rather lazy when it comes to stuff like this, though I am not a beginner as I've done more serious modding before and can understand should I get a good explanation or tutorial. Otherwise finding such hardcoded stuff and mod myself I'm terrible at that. :D

Anyways, more to the subject. I was wondering if it's possible to modify the duration of Salvo ability to let's say either permanent or a very high amount of time so you would had to cast it either after getting killed or just once at the start of a map. Because I could say playing a basic archer build and having multi shot all the time can be pretty fun, and also since archery is really lacking in my view. While I did some item stats changing to make ranged weapons do far more damage and have longer range, I still view archery to be weak, since you always need something to tank for you in case of AoE encounters.
And this perma multi-shot came into my mind, I've tried in the past to dwell myself into hex-editing the salvo spell duration but no luck. I don't know which number are the ones affecting the duration, and also tried looking for the upgraded crossbow of the marksmen units but still can't find it, as I would add it myself to play a bit and see how it goes.

Anyone here sharing my point or also wanting to try such idea? If someone knows how to help me at this, please post. Thanks in advance. :D

Post subject: Re: Salvo/Multi-shot
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:20 am 
Site Admin

Hello, here is a tutorial on the hex mess editing
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=153
here is scimbis SF item editor for easy equipment editing
http://forum.spellforce.com/showthread.php?t=47575
I think archery is powerful IF and when combined with mind magic, (agree it sux otherwise)
and the most powerful of all avatars in SotP,
so it might become too much overpowered if you make it even stronger,
if you make the mirror army even more powerful

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:07 am 

Thanks for the fast reply. I know about the item editor, used it already to make ranged weapons more worthy of wielding one.

Yes, I didn't said archery combined with others skill is lacking. Plain archery build&light combat is rather bad when solo, compared to the typical HC, LC or BM/EM caster as you most of the time can't deal with 2 enemies of around your level before they come in melee where you deal little damage and also lacking some stamina compared to a melee avatar. Sometimes not even with 1 at a time before the above happens.
Mirrors indeed are very overpowered as they can be spammed in mass, but any main physical-oriented avatar is OP with them, not only archery.

Thanks for the tutorial, I stumble myself upon the topic a few days ago but I didn't realized it was all posted in a quote so I thought only the first sentences was all the tutorial. Being rather tipsy didn't helped me at that time. I'll see if I can work my brain in understanding a bit. :D

EDIT: Still not much luck, can't figure out where Salvo exactly is. The spell ID is 3217, in hex is C91 or 01 C9. There are dozens of 01 C9 values in gamedata.cff . Salvo lasts 15 seconds, so I guess the duration decimals should be 0F, replaced some however in vain. Tutorial doesn't explain much about spell editing, only items. Looked for other examples of spell editing around here and can't figure out how to find an ability or spell cooldown/duration/cast time etc.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

in gamedata.cff file that spell is at 0001C600 offset:

3A 06 9E 00 03 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 19 00 0A 00 00 00 C0 D4 01 00 00 00 0F 00 02 01 98 3A 00 00 05 00 00 00 2D 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 64 00 00 00

3A 06 = spell number
9E 00 = spell type (in this case salvo)
03 00 06 = spell requirements (03 = archer; 00 = no subclass; 06 = lvl 6)
19 00 = mana usage (25 mana)
0A 00 00 00 = cast time (10 milisec)
C0 D4 01 00 = recast time (120000 milisec = 2 min)
0F 00 = max range
02 01 = cast type (in this case on yourself)
98 3A 00 00 = spell duration (15000 milisec = 15 sec)
05 00 00 00 (don't know what it means, maybe number of targets; 5)
2D 00 00 00 (don't know what it means, maybe how much dmg additional arrows deal %; 45)

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:02 pm 

Wow, thanks a lot! Quick and straight to the point with extra stuff, just what I needed. As always, I am far from what I hope to achieve by myself in hex editing or hard coded stuff. :)

Managed to change Salvo duration to infinite duration basically (11.5 days lol, can't get more than that) and a short test was really nice. Finally I'll probably stick to an archer guy for more than a few hours.

A quick question, how exactly one finds a spell offset in gamedata? 1C600, Salvo's offset, what to do in order to find it? After this, I may poke myself in modding some other spells. In any case, thanks again. Loving this forum already. :D

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

spellline = spell type from my previous post
1. you need spellline list in lua from one of the .pak files
2. need to know abilities IDs:
01 = HC
02 = LC
03 = RC
04 = WM
05 = EM
06 = MM
07 = BM
3. then search spellline ID + ability ID

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:21 pm 

Ah, so it was needed a decompiled lua file. A few days ago couldn't for the life of me understand what to look for in Hex Editor to the spelline.lua in sf21.pak to find this spell type. No one here said anything about the decompilation part. Thank you for providing this and being really helpful overall. Luckily my poor hex modding skills are still enough to comprehend easily once I got the basics of Salvo's decimals description.

Just for test to see if I get the hang of it, I removed the cooldown from lvl 20 blizzard and rain of fire. Rather OP lol. No more reason to use downranked spells. Too bad it any spell has to be done for every rank in particular if you want to modify the lower ranks as well.

Thanks again, never expected such a little forum with little activity to provide very fast answers, and perfect ones at that. :D

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

you are welcome :)

Board index » Spellforce 1 » Mods