Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Spellforce 1 » Mods

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:51 pm 

Spencer and Hill Coop Campaign Rework

Good evening ladies and gentleman,

we are glad to finally upload the first version of our reworked coop campaign for Spellforce 1: The Order Of Phoenix. It was produced by Spencer and me for about a year now. Every map was tested several times and should work well. For this first release, we prepared the DARK coop campaign only. The mod concerns all the 34 maps with bases. RPG maps were not reworked so far.

What you can expect:

1. Reworked maps regarding resources, balance, bugs and details. Most maps got additional resources as they also got a little bit harder. Some maps received less entrances to the players bases and others got additional ones to make the gameplay more balanced and less unilateral. There were some bugs on the vanilla maps, like snow trees on a desert map. Few maps lacked landscape details, we decided to give these maps the same amount of details as the usual JoWood campaign maps.

2. The enemy spawn scripts and bases got reworked completely. We found that the dull spawn scripts in the vanilla coop campaign was its main drawback. Often only one or two different units were coming out of the spawn points. There was very little variety and this should change. Especially since there are tons of units coded already, that were never seen before in the coop campaign or not even the single player campaigns. There was indeed a huge unused potential. Therefore we decided to rework the bases completely: In total we wrote for the reworked maps more than 200 new bases with individual spawn scripts. In our campaign, you can expect usually 4-5 and sometimes up to 9 different kinds of enemies (Orcs, trolls, drakelings etc.) on a single map. On top of this the bases itself get more variety: while originally there are 1-3 types of units scripted in a single base, we gave at least 5 and several special bases up to 15 types of units. For example: Some units spawn in masses, others rarely and work as powerful troop leaders. Overall we added about 1000 units in 200 new spawn scripts for our bases in 34 reworked maps. These scripts are found in the “gdsrtscoopspawngroups.lua” which comes with the mod.

3. We used additional types of spawn scripts. Those were implemented by JoWood but never used in the coop campaigns. Furthermore, several types were not even used in the single player campaign. We used the following spawn types which lead to different spawn behavior:
• “GoalCoopAggressive” – this is the usual spawn type. It attacks every 2 minutes with a maximum of 12 units. It sends scouts in the beginning of the game. You know this type of bases from the JoWood coop maps. We enhanced this type with new, more irregular spawning behavior. It is completely possible now that a usually weak spawn surprises you with powerful units after 1 hour.
• “GoalCoopDefensive” – does attack only every five minutes. It does not sent scouts. After five minutes all units currently standing in the base will attack at once. This type of spawn script was used to create “mass spawning” enemies on certain maps. In the coop campaign this type of spawns throw 20, 40, or even 70 units at once at your base. Their attacks can be a real danger.
• “GoalNomadic” spawns units that go on a random trip on the maps immediately after coming out. It does not form troop collections. These spawns were used to give more live to certain maps. A good example are goblins that wander some of the maps and look for your goods and chattels!
• “GoalAggressive” spawns units that attack right after coming out. These scripts are used to create bases, that always become stronger. One might also call it Kaiju spawn. In our mod they usually spawn very powerful units “Kaijus” that become more numerous over the course of the game. Look out, if you don’t finish the map soon enough, these bases can become so powerful that you can not beat them anymore. If recognized too late, they can pose an extreme danger.
• “GoalIdle” – spawns units but does not attack. We used this kind of spawn to create boss encampments. Often there is a real powerful boss unit in them, which is the primary enemy of the map. Furthermore, some of these spawns received immense spawn rates. If you are not able to take a boss camp down quickly, it might be able to kill your entire troops.

4. With the many new base mechanics, most maps received a certain direction. It is not just base building, base defending and taking down all enemies bases anymore. The new spawn types lead to several surprises and new situations that were not seen so far. There is an actual final map (coop 44) that is very hard to master and has a real endboss(es).

5. Generally, the maps got harder. We tested all of them with two or three players. We used heroes with healing ability to test them. We are not sure of all maps are doable without healing ability.

The mod can be downloaded here:

It is attached to this post in 3 parts (see below).

How to install the mod:

Put all the files in the archive below in your Spellforce game folder.
• The maps can be alternatively integrated in your own map folder “lanfreegame”. The path is “\Spellforce Platinum Edition\map\lanfreegame”.
• The scripts folder needs to be placed separately in the main folder “\Spellforce Platinum Edition\”. You do need this folder to play the mod, as it includes the “gdsrtscoopspawngroups.lua” which contains all the 200 new spawn scripts written for the mod.

Start the game and choose the map you want to play. For example: If you want to play the reworked version of coop 20, choose “Coop_20_mod_dark_done”.

Regarding testing the maps:

- Maps 2-10 recieved only smal changes, with the expection of coop 7
- Maps 11-20 got much more additions
- Map 21-30 recieved even more changes and more variety
- Map 31-45 got the most additions (for example: lots of bosses & Kaiju spawns at the very end of the campaign)

Further changes are still planned, currently we are reworking the maps 2-20 while testing it with light factions.

The mod was written on the steam version “Spellforce Platinum Edition” but should work on all other versions as well. We would be glad if you share any bugs you discover. New ideas are also welcome.

We hope you enjoy our reworked campaign.

Regards

Spencer & Hill (Thor_Hammerschlag on this forum!)

Attachments:
SpencerHill_Coop_Rework_092017_reupload.part3.rar [1.78 MiB]
Downloaded 3 times
SpencerHill_Coop_Rework_092017_reupload.part2.rar [5 MiB]
Downloaded 2 times
File comment: Part1
SpencerHill_Coop_Rework_092017_reupload.part1.rar [5 MiB]
Downloaded 3 times

Last edited by Thor_Hammerschlag on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

hello, good work.
you can upload if you split the rar into several pieces,
like split into bytes (add to archive/split to volumes,bytes) anything between 2000000 to 5000000 bytes
the higher the number the fewer rar files, but it also increases the difficulty to upload

in order to extract i will then only extract the first of the few rar files,
the rest gets included automatically, if they are located in the same folder

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:13 am 

Wow very nice ! Gonna try this mod at the Weekend. Im building a similar type of mod on my own, but im modding the gamedata.cff as well, adding new enemies, balancing the army units, maybe adjust some wepaon and armor stats and stuff like this, but i guess it will take lots of time(years) to finish it. Do you mind if I use your adjusted maps ?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:29 am 

PongLenis wrote:
Wow very nice ! Gonna try this mod at the Weekend. Im building a similar type of mod on my own, but im modding the gamedata.cff as well, adding new enemies, balancing the army units, maybe adjust some wepaon and armor stats and stuff like this, but i guess it will take lots of time(years) to finish it. Do you mind if I use your adjusted maps ?

Using the scripts and maps of our mod is okay, as long as you mention us in the credits of your mod!

Regarding testing the maps:
- Maps 2-10 recieved only smal changes
- Maps 11-20 got much more additions
- Map 21-30 recieved even more changes and more variety
- Map 31-45 got the most additions (lots of bosses & Kaiji spawns at the very end of the campaign)

Further changes are still planned, currently we are reworking the maps 2-20 while testing it with light factions.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:25 am 
Site Admin

Thor_Hammerschlag wrote:

i feel like i want to give an advice: there was no bigger SF1 fan than me,
but the relentless test runs around the clock to see if the mod was any good just broke me,
it became full work with overtime, and i just lost interest altogether.
it was the urge to get spells for sale out that did me in.

if i could turn back time, i would have get the first map done, but after that
i would just test when i anyway felt like playing

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:17 pm 

mordo wrote:
if i could turn back time, i would have get the first map done, but after that
i would just test when i anyway felt like playing

Yes, this is what we usually do, thankfully. There was a time when we did the same as you did, but we decided immediately that its worthless to be quicker if we are meanwhile loosing the fun editing the mod.

We still like to play the game and its acutally very nice to see all the changes again. Also, light factions are weaker thus it is quite interesting to find out if all maps are actually finishable with them. What we currently do is look for bugs and add some new content where it is needed. Thats a much more joyful work than reworking the map and writing 10-15 new spawn scripts for it.

Regards

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:20 pm 

This is exactly the kind of mod i'm looking for !
Sadly i can't download it anymore on the link you posted, and i didn't find it anywhere else... Could you reupload this mod please?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:29 am 

blood998 wrote:
This is exactly the kind of mod i'm looking for !
Sadly i can't download it anymore on the link you posted, and i didn't find it anywhere else... Could you reupload this mod please?

Hello there,
i reuploaded the mod. It is now attached to this post in 3 parts. Have fun :) and let us know how you like it.

Hint: I could not upload splitted .zip files. z01 and z02 endings are not allowed on this forum. A splitted rar file worked however.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:40 am 
Site Admin

7z.001, 7z.002, etc. is allowed, I am not using the winzip but 7zip, though I can add the exception if you need

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:21 pm 

Not needed anymore. Rar works just as good for me.

Board index » Spellforce 1 » Mods