Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Spellforce 1 » Spellforce: The Order of Dawn

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Few questions
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:39 pm 

mordo wrote:
I didn't like SF2 at all,
and there is no way i would have completed it, had it not been for the name of spellforce.
(i was stuck with TOoD for 6 years and really wanted a new SF)
It's too fast, i only ever had time to press every possible "heal button"
i didnt even had time to watch the fight, just looking for which "heal" button is ready for use.
It also look plastic (buildings etc), and i cant go solo there, i'm forced to have the hero team with me
at ALL time

Ouch, that really stinks. I was toying with getting the game but from the videos I watch online it is sometimes hard to see and actually feel the game without playing.

I don't like very fast games either. While I don't like them to be very slow, I do want to watch the action in detail as the battles progress and be bale to micro manage my units. Kinda like pulling a hurt unit out of the front line before he dies. That is just not possible in games that are too fast. I find it odd that they did not put a game speed controlled in the options.

For me, what is so great about SF1 is the maps are pretty large and that makes the battles more fun and have a more epic feel to them. I like defending my base against huge attacks and also building small strike forces for suicide attacks against enemy structures.

All in all, I guess you think SF1 base building and fighting is better than SF2?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I do want to watch the action in detail as the battles progress and be bale to micro manage my units. Kinda like pulling a hurt unit out of the front line before he dies. That is just not possible in games that are too fast. I find it odd that they did not put a game speed controlled in the options.
Ain't that the truth, it was crash kaboom bang, with me so busy looking for any available heal button so when i looked up, i looked up to see who had won the battle.

Quote:
All in all, I guess you think SF1 base building and fighting is better than SF2?

I'm really poor at fighting two front war, so if my avatar is good enough i will always destroy
camps from one side so i can guard the other side until i got an army.

Actually i'm not overly into fighting with armies, at least not brawl battles like SF.
If i want to do that, i will play Shogun total war, that has formations and various units,
sensitivity to flanking maneuvers, morale etc.
Or Harpoon 97 for more modern type of fight

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:18 pm 

That is funny, it seems like we play the complete opposite of each other.

I typically build few defensive structures and focus on units for defense. On mostly every map there is such an abundance of materials that you almost never run out so I just build units and replace dead units.

I rarely use my avatar for any fighting anymore, I got bored of the solo route. My avatar's main use is to heal here and there if I am white magic but mostly my avatar is a lighthouse. I bring him along with my attack forces and use the advantage his huge line of sight. :)

It might seem funny or weird but I setup my defense in small boxes of ranged/healing units. I put them in a formation and I have them hold position. I make between 2-4 of these boxes and it looks like a Napoleon battle field sort of! :) Naturally the melee are in front, usually get hurt but are replaced just as quickly.

I also create funnels for the enemy troops. What I mean is, I will create a useless building or 2 in front of my defensive units. If build correctly, it rarely gets destroyed. When the enemy goes to attack the structure, they then see my troops and switch targets. They run around the structure to attack my troops. If built correctly, the enemy will funnel towards my melee troops and that helps to keep them under control more and also gives my ranged attackers more free attacks.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

That IS funny, but also goes to show strength of SF1 in that it can be played much differently.
I can't handle the stress being attacked on all sides having nothing but myself running from one side to the other defending.
I also always use boxes of ranged units on hold, with myself or Titan as tank in front.
Only place i can think of where i use towers are
1] modded wildland to take out the golem
2] when i was camping, but those days are luckily pretty gone
3] Rift, to absorb lv 25 demons at ork camp
4] Blazing stones at mosaik place, it is totally smacked with ice towers

Umm, i suspect that with such defensive fighting, you will want to avoid the Ferryman's
at last map, unless you made a save at lv 30-30.9 already for import to SotP.

ed: And perhaps after 8 years of practice it's time for me to at least try defending a camp sometime

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:46 am 

The first time I used your maps I totally did not see that golem at all when I was charging the towers and orcs. He was 1 shot killing my elfs and if it was not my melee Avatar, he would have killed me. I pretty much lost that battle right there and had to retreat. It was a nice surprise. The only downside to the golem is how slow they are. A group of windarchers/Marksman wore him down with no threat because he is so slow.

I must have replayed that battle at the Rift 20-30 times without towers in an attempt to win before they destroy the orc monument. Strangly enough, using towers all through the approach to your base and into the gorge can give you an easy win over the demons. For some reason, they don't attack the towers and just keep running around and die eventually.

Without towers, is a huge challenge. The orcs are low level and you don't even have the good orc units or the titan so a standup fight is out of the question. I did come close several times to victory and thought I had it. I pretty much gaveup trying at that time but I am going to try again until I finally win. The key for me to get close to victory was grouping 20 or so orcs together and have them run for the other side of the map without stopping to fight. The demons would chase the ones that lived and depending on your avatar's skills, you could pickoff a few at a time. My avatar was an EM/Ice, BM/Necro, LM/Life build so I would freeze 1 or 2 of them to seperate them from the group and kill them. The hard part was running low on orcs and constantly producing with no down time.

I was having mana regen problems to keep the kill up for so long and I think the fact that the lower level demons were constantly spawning and attacking with the high level guys made it harder. Just got overwhelmed eventually but damn it was intense and fun.

Playing so defensively never really had an impact on my leveling. I never got a character above level 30 in any game. I rarely stay full defense. I always make small detachments to attack the enemy base from a different direction if possible. Like on Stoneblade Mountain, you can slip a detachment of troops inbetween the attacks of the minotours and go straight north. From there, you can hit either the Troll or Minotour bases from the rear while avoiding the constant attack groups they send out.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
The orcs are low level and you don't even have the good orc units or the titan so a standup fight is out of the question.

Umm, totems are my favorite orks by far, the only unit i ever use even,
as long as monsters aren't too many levels above.

Quote:
Playing so defensively never really had an impact on my leveling. I never got a character above level 30 in any game.

Yes, it was nigh impossible to make lv 30, let alone lv 31 with standard maps,
but i think you will see that 3 Ferryman in last map is more than you need
if you have been playing as you say.
Good news is that you don't actually have to engage either of them,
especially not the 2 at start.
(or was it only 1 a start & 1 at beginning of plain ? can't remember)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Board index » Spellforce 1 » Spellforce: The Order of Dawn