Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Spellforce 1 » General discussion

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:11 am 

Hi there everbody. I'm a long time SF fan, and a few weeks earlier, I decided to give it another go. With the infamous mind magic disciple. And its a slugfest. Bending enemies to your will, enslave them, turn them against their former allies... Sounds cool. But the execution is not. Usually, i found myself insanely underpowered. Even with high char and int. The enemies which you can subjugate are as tough as a tissue paper, and do not pose any threat to his former friends. (Let alone act as a meat shield.) And I think theres a serious problem with the drops. Higher level spells allow you to brainwash stronger enemies, which is a MUST for a mind mage, but it does not matter how many times I reloaded the save game, they never showed up. I didn't wasted my time further, because I knew there are all kinds of magic selling merc's at the dark elf base camp. I have money, a lot, time to buy those fancy Level 11-12 spells. And then came the slap to the face. You can buy basic spells like shock, distract, illusion etc. but NO charm. NO dominate. Are. you. kidding. me? I cant beat the first part of the map without these. The moment, you active a monument, 3, level 18 Blade Weavers come to say, "Hi." The only thing I can do, is Hypnotize them. But even then, its not always successful, and they can freeze, and wreck you up. Even if you survive the encounter, (Hypno them again.) You already took enough damage, to simply die, the moment they free themselves. It's a boring slugfest.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

Sydonis wrote:
Hi there everbody. I'm a long time SF fan, and a few weeks earlier, I decided to give it another go. With the infamous mind magic disciple. And its a slugfest. Bending enemies to your will, enslave them, turn them against their former allies... Sounds cool. But the execution is not. Usually, i found myself insanely underpowered. Even with high char and int. The enemies which you can subjugate are as tough as a tissue paper, and do not pose any threat to his former friends. (Let alone act as a meat shield.) And I think theres a serious problem with the drops. Higher level spells allow you to brainwash stronger enemies, which is a MUST for a mind mage, but it does not matter how many times I reloaded the save game, they never showed up. I didn't wasted my time further, because I knew there are all kinds of magic selling merc's at the dark elf base camp. I have money, a lot, time to buy those fancy Level 11-12 spells. And then came the slap to the face. You can buy basic spells like shock, distract, illusion etc. but NO charm. NO dominate. Are. you. kidding. me? I cant beat the first part of the map without these. The moment, you active a monument, 3, level 18 Blade Weavers come to say, "Hi." The only thing I can do, is Hypnotize them. But even then, its not always successful, and they can freeze, and wreck you up. Even if you survive the encounter, (Hypno them again.) You already took enough damage, to simply die, the moment they free themselves. It's a boring slugfest.

hello, download the modded maps and gamedata so you can buy all spells on the first map
viewforum.php?f=12
viewforum.php?f=14
come to think of it its not entirelly necessary with modded data on TOoD/BoW to buy the spells,
but it is necessary on SotP or many spells can not be bought, period

the mind mage is indeed weak sauce initially, because you have to handicap the avatar so badly
by pouring all points into charisma intelligence,
a better way IMO is the mind warrior or archer mind mage,
where you focus points on strength until HC 8 or ranged 8 and then develop mind magic

Board index » Spellforce 1 » General discussion