The Mind Mage, the Underdog.

Sydonis

The Mind Mage, the Underdog.

Post by Sydonis » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:11 am

Hi there everbody. I'm a long time SF fan, and a few weeks earlier, I decided to give it another go. With the infamous mind magic disciple. And its a slugfest. Bending enemies to your will, enslave them, turn them against their former allies... Sounds cool. But the execution is not. Usually, i found myself insanely underpowered. Even with high char and int. The enemies which you can subjugate are as tough as a tissue paper, and do not pose any threat to his former friends. (Let alone act as a meat shield.) And I think theres a serious problem with the drops. Higher level spells allow you to brainwash stronger enemies, which is a MUST for a mind mage, but it does not matter how many times I reloaded the save game, they never showed up. I didn't wasted my time further, because I knew there are all kinds of magic selling merc's at the dark elf base camp. I have money, a lot, time to buy those fancy Level 11-12 spells. And then came the slap to the face. You can buy basic spells like shock, distract, illusion etc. but NO charm. NO dominate. Are. you. kidding. me? I cant beat the first part of the map without these. The moment, you active a monument, 3, level 18 Blade Weavers come to say, "Hi." The only thing I can do, is Hypnotize them. But even then, its not always successful, and they can freeze, and wreck you up. Even if you survive the encounter, (Hypno them again.) You already took enough damage, to simply die, the moment they free themselves. It's a boring slugfest.

mordo
Site Admin

Re: The Mind Mage, the Underdog.

Post by mordo » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:37 pm

Sydonis wrote:Hi there everbody. I'm a long time SF fan, and a few weeks earlier, I decided to give it another go. With the infamous mind magic disciple. And its a slugfest. Bending enemies to your will, enslave them, turn them against their former allies... Sounds cool. But the execution is not. Usually, i found myself insanely underpowered. Even with high char and int. The enemies which you can subjugate are as tough as a tissue paper, and do not pose any threat to his former friends. (Let alone act as a meat shield.) And I think theres a serious problem with the drops. Higher level spells allow you to brainwash stronger enemies, which is a MUST for a mind mage, but it does not matter how many times I reloaded the save game, they never showed up. I didn't wasted my time further, because I knew there are all kinds of magic selling merc's at the dark elf base camp. I have money, a lot, time to buy those fancy Level 11-12 spells. And then came the slap to the face. You can buy basic spells like shock, distract, illusion etc. but NO charm. NO dominate. Are. you. kidding. me? I cant beat the first part of the map without these. The moment, you active a monument, 3, level 18 Blade Weavers come to say, "Hi." The only thing I can do, is Hypnotize them. But even then, its not always successful, and they can freeze, and wreck you up. Even if you survive the encounter, (Hypno them again.) You already took enough damage, to simply die, the moment they free themselves. It's a boring slugfest.
hello, download the modded maps and gamedata so you can buy all spells on the first map
viewforum.php?f=12
viewforum.php?f=14
come to think of it its not entirelly necessary with modded data on TOoD/BoW to buy the spells,
but it is necessary on SotP or many spells can not be bought, period

the mind mage is indeed weak sauce initially, because you have to handicap the avatar so badly
by pouring all points into charisma intelligence,
a better way IMO is the mind warrior or archer mind mage,
where you focus points on strength until HC 8 or ranged 8 and then develop mind magic
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen

Beroes

Post by Beroes » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:11 am

Hello,
Sorry for the refresh, but could you mordo maybe post a guide on that mind archer build? Because I've been looking for it and I haven't found it anywhere.
Thanks.

mordo
Site Admin

Post by mordo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:53 pm

hello, its been a long while, and i havnt got the character planner handy,
but start adding strength until strength 47 from when you start game,
and add some dexterity too, lets say 47 of dex too.

then, when you create the build, you have to select a skill too,
i used to pick white magic boon 1 since it gets quite a bit stronger in tood/bow,
but it does not really do anything in sotp since i kept area hypno so often

so at lv 1 make strength/dexterity = 40, and select either boon 1 or enchantment 1 as first skill,
at lv 2, add skill light combat 1, no skill, this will give you berserk which is one of the top
spells in tood/bow, and add ranged combat, no skill but you will want blessing from this
either at lv 2 or lv 3, and add strength/dexterity towards 47/47

keep on leveling up ranged combat no skill until you hit ranged 8,
and begin leveling up mind magic enchantment,
when you have reached mind magic enchantment & defensive = 12,
fill up dexterity until 60, and once you get there, level up ranged to 10 and select crossbow 10 IMO.

at 31, make enchantment 13, and get the mirror 13 spell,
later make defensive 13 too and get manashield 13.
now from here you can either stick with ice thrower 10 crossbow and
make mind magic enchantment & hypno 20, and add strength to 84 iirc,
OR you can go for the more physical oriented mind archer,
in which case you stick with enchant/defensive 13,
and instead level up crossbow until crossbow 17 and use the deathbreeze crossbow,
this build get over 100 base strength
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen